10 February 2013

Another Decoden Box!


So I managed to get some silicone! And not the stuff that belongs on tiles and in walls :) The only problem was, it didn't stick very well at all so it was pretty much impossible to pipe on to the box at first. I felt a little ripped off lol. I did get it to work in the end though, and I think it came out quite well for my first time using silicone. And, another plus to not using the stuff that belongs in walls, it didn't stink at all! In fact, it was pretty much odourless.

Here's what I used to make it:


  • Silicone (of course). As already mention, it wasn't sealant or caulk. That stuff belongs in walls, for a start. It won't last if you use it for Decoden... it'll get dirty and don't forget it absolutely stinks. Anything that smells that bad is obviously bad for your health! Anyway, the stuff I used was made purposely for Decoden (like I'd use anything that wasn't!). I got it from Ebay, but it's not in stock any more. In fact, when I bought it there was only brown left. But I would've bought this colour anyway.
  • 3D paint. The brand I use is Tulip, mainly because it's the easiest one for me to get.
  • Polymer clay. I used it to make the charms or 'cabochons' whatever you call them. Most of them I'd made ages ago, but hadn't used for anything. So they got recycled. Oh, and I used a few cane slices I'd baked too. I even put a few Union flags on it, just to show people that just because you're interested in something that originated in Japan, you're not so obsessed with Japan that you wish you were Japanese and hate your own nationality for it lol.
  •  Rhinestones and pearls (with flat backs). I had to use the tiniest ones I could find of course. I also used a few of the slightly bigger coloured ones as well. 
I think I forgot something!
  • An old box that I keep my shop bought stud earrings in. A long time ago, I bought some earrings and this is what they came in. And some how, I ended up keeping all of my stud earrings in. Well, it's better than keeping them where they can get lost or stab you in the hand/foot. 
So, I'm quite proud of it for my first attempt at decoden with silicone! If you like the look of decoden, you should really give it a try.

Edit: I've added a bit more on to the box now! 

There were a few gaps in the silicone so I decided to fill them in. I also decided to add on a ribbon! I love it :D. I got the ribbon from a craft shop, and used a glue gun to stick it on. If you don't already have one, I got mine from Wilkinsons. I don't know if you have that shop outside of the UK, but any glue gun will do really. Most of the glue guns I've seen aren't really that expensive, but the majority don't come with the actual glue sticks. You can get the glue sticks from craft shops, DIY shops... and the packs they come in do contain a decent amount of glue. You don't have to just settle for clear glue either: you can get the glue sticks in all different colours and you can even get shiny ones with glitter.

I never actually took the label off of that box. Well, there's no way it's coming off now!