17 January 2013

Decoden box

So, I guess I realised I don't fail at Decoden as much as I thought I did. I had another go at it last night :D
In the process...
The finished box :D
It looks so much cooler in real life :) For some reason, I decided to use the slowest method possible and use about a million tiny rhinestones instead of using the larger pretend pearls or silicone. I guess I couldn't be bothered to wait until the next time I could get to the craft shop, order them off the internet or brave the snow. So I decided it would look more awesome like this, and spent about 3 hours doing it. Yes, I know there are better ways to spend a week off from school, but this seemed more appealing... lol.

Anyway this is what I used to make it:

  • 3D paint. I was having some trouble with it before, but now I've learnt how to use it... I think. You can get it from craft shops.
  • LOADS of rhinestones!!! I got the smaller clear ones from a craft shop, and the coloured shaped ones from the Works. (I think we only have it in England, but you can get get them like that from most craft shops)
  • Polymer clay. I mostly use Fimo at the moment. Some (not all) craft shops have it, but your best bet is to search it on the internet.
  • Some old embellishments I've had since FOREVER (well, since I was about 13 at least). I think I might have got them from a card making shop, but I might have got them from the Works again. They also came in the box I used to Decoden.
  • As for the glue, I used PVA, but I don't recommend it unless you really can't use any other sort of glue. I can't really handle the fumes from stronger glues, even in a well ventilated room. The same seems to go for most glazes :(. Anyway, I used a brand called 'Anita's Tacky Glue'. I find it's slightly stronger and seems to hold on to things better, so if you really can't use any other sort of glue, you should try this. If you can use super glue/glue guns, it would be much better to use them. (Edit: I've had to re-stick some of the charms back on using a glue gun. I really don't recommend using PVA glue, unless you really can't use any other kind of glue).
My sister made this charm... Now I have to
pay her £1 for using it...
If you like the look of Decoden, you should really give it a go! Just don't make the same mistake I did with my Nyan Cat box, and just rush in to doing it. I find it's best to either plan out what you're going to do or have a good idea of it in your head. Before you use 3D paint, test it out on paper to get the feel of it. Let it dry before you do any thing else. This way, you can see how it works with out making a mess of your box! I know it looks easy, but it's very different when your doing it yourself for the first time.